Neuritis is the inflammation of a nerve or group of nerves. This differs from neuralgia which is pain along the course of the nerve pathway or neuropathy which is a disease of the nerve that causes altered sensation or function.
- Infections – eg. Herpes & shingles
- Physical Injury
- Underlying conditions – Diabetes, Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome, alcoholism
- Certain medications
- RICE- rest, ice, compression & elevation
- Activity modification or reduction
- Soft tissue massage & stretching exercise
- If biomechanics is a contributory cause- orthotics may be considered.
- Non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drug ( Nurofen etc)
What can you do?
- Reduce or modify current activities
- Gradually resume normal activity as symptoms resolve
- Ice after training/ activity 15 minutes on , 2 hours off, 15 minutes on
- Footwear assessment – it may be time for a new pair
- Stretch your lower leg muscles – but not to the point that it causes pain